Thursday, October 21, 2010

day 35_Press Conference

Unfortunately I was unable to attend the press conference live and in person today - but as the meeting took place, I sat, grinding away, working hard at my desk to make such glorious announcements possible! Up to this point, I have had a few people asking me how I like my work here, and what am I working on? I've only responded thus far with vague and generic comments until I knew that my current work was openly public knowledge... and since the press conference was officially held today (which I attended in spirit of course), I feel that it is now acceptable to give a few more details about my project! [And by the by - I will always take precautions in regards to what I post on this blog, but you can always email me when you want more juicy details of any story... getting emails makes my day... :) ]

So... *drumroll here*
I am currently working on the LEED certification for Taipei 101. If you are unfamiliar with the building (featured on the photo at the top of my blog...) it was previously the world's tallest building until it was surpassed by a new building in Dubai just this year. The building owners are of the mentality that "We may no longer have the highest building in the world, but we can still hold ourselves to the highest building standards in the world". With that in mind, they are currently documenting and making modifications to the existing building in an effort to attain a LEED platinum certification. This is the highest building rating based on the LEED rating system, which sets a standard for environmental/energy efficient building design - governed by the U.S. Green Building Council - and Taipei 101 will be the only existing high rise building (as far as I know) to have achieved the Platinum. Which might also clue you in to the fact that I am on the front lines! A leader in the wave of "green" that has become so trendy... just trying to save the planet one project at a time :)

You can read about the building here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taipei_101

You can read about their quest to be greener here: https://www.greenbiz.com/news/2010/10/21/taipei-101-sets-sights-leed-ebom-platinum-rating

This is what I have been working on, and will continue to work on for quite some time - but more importantly, it really does make my chest swell a little to know that I am working on projects that I am excited about. Interested in. Committed to. In regards to this project in particular, it makes me glad to see that someone is spending the money, taking the time, and setting the example. The Taipei 101 certification is a HUGE undertaking (we're talking 101 floors plus basementssss people...) but we are putting in the time to provide the proof that even an existing building can meet higher standards and run more efficiently. I know everyone may have their own opinion of building rating systems or claiming to be green, etc. but this is a project that is taking the right steps and making a positive impact. The platinum certification isn't handed out everyday... this is a client who understands and will follow through with efficient practices not only now, but for years to come! :) 

Long story short? Glad I am here to be a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment