Tuesday, November 16, 2010

day 61_staying fresh

Day 61. Let's face it - the 61st day is not as sparkly as day 1 or day 2. I look back at my very early blog posts and they have so much eagerness, excitement, and sarcasm to them. Now, my posts are more leisurely, a casual daily habit... and as I was leaving my office this evening, I realized I need to spice it up a bit (not for the blog, for me!). Things are certainly not bad here, but my day to day is not as refreshing as the first week or two were. Who do I blame? Me. For sure.

Just like any relationship, the decision to move internationally has it's ups and downs, and you have to put forth the effort to make the relationship work. I think I have done pretty well so far at giving my 100%, but I have to remind myself to keep pushing. I am the kind of person who gets bored, who wants my day to day to be exciting, to learn new things, to feel alive. It's not entirely an international thing either. I can remember before I left Dallas, I had started to feel sometimes that my life was in a rut. The same routine, the same possibilities each day. I don't think anyone would be surprised that when you pass the same scenery everyday on the way to and from work, you begin to not even see the scene in front of your face.

Tonight when I left the office, instead of staring absent-mindedly while I waited for the crosswalk, I looked down and admired the glittering pave stones that twinkle under the street lights. I decided -instead of heading to the usual MRT station that is a 7 minute walk from my office- to walk to the MRT station that is a 20 minute walk from my office... plenty more to explore along the way. I took a little extra time as I strolled to peek in storefront windows, and admire cute little shops as I passed. I'd really like to travel the same path during the day time. I always take note of the same park on the right hand side of the road with the larger than life, primary colored sculptures. I need to come back and visit it sometime when the sun is shining. Tonight (I confess) I did watch my new favorite TV show - Britain's Next Top Model (TV show choices in English are limited here...) but afterwards, I switched off the TV to spend a little extra time chatting with friends and family. Now, I am about to snuggle up with a warm blanket and read more in my new guide book...

I think the magic cure to not feeling like your life is boring or in a rut is a mostly personal decision, so this week's goal = keep life interesting! I want to see the things I pass by, not just walk past them. So here's to a great week, and taking a new route home from work, one step at a time. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment