Thursday, November 25, 2010

day 70_Taiwanese Thanksgiving!

This morning began with my ritual bilingual conversation with my building's security guard. He speaks only Chinese, I speak only English - it's some of the best conversation I've had in Taiwan. Think - Pictionary meets a Mime, and they really like trying to guess what one another have to say! [In truth we each speak only a very few words of each other's language] We were carrying on as usual with lots of facial expression, hand motions, and a few scribbles on a post it note. I told him that today was a holiday. An American holiday. This much he understood... but when I said the holiday is "Thanksgiving," this word was clearly not a part of his vocabulary. I sketched up a picture of a turkey real quick on a post-it and gestured as if to say "We eat turkey today." He immediately recognized the image and made a motion with his hands to imitate the bird feathers spreading out behind the bird. He said the name in Chinese. I nodded. Then his eyes were very wide and he told me that he does not eat that!... Really? I responded. Why not? It is very similar to chicken, I suggested... His eyes got bigger, and he asked me in Chinese... Where can you even buy that in Taipei?!... You can buy it at Costco, I told him... You can buy that at COSTCO!? (He was very expressive by this point)

And that is when I realized, I had just convinced my security guard... that I would be eating Peacock this year for Thanksgiving.....[Followed by a second conversation and additional post-its, differentiating between the peacock (not on the menu) and the turkey that I planned to eat for dinner...]

Thankfully - Oh yes, I am so thankful! - My new American girl friend in Taipei invited me to her home this evening for Thanksgiving dinner... and it was a great! She served Turkey, fresh cranberry sauce, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green beans, dinner rolls... the works. I'm probably forgetting even more. I was not the only dinner guest and it was also nice to meet some new people.


Our Thanksgiving feast [Thank you J for cooking for us!!!]

Classic Thanksgiving dinner. Yum!

Flowers from our trip to the flower market last weekend - I loved her home :)
So warm and inviting
I am so thankful for so many things, but I am especially thankful that I was able to celebrate this holiday with friends - and that I didn't end up celebrating alone or skipping it all together. I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving too! I am thankful for you. So, now that I am full and happy... it is past my bedtime, I'd better hit the sack!

No comments:

Post a Comment